Where's Ryan?

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Health Clinic or Ego Booster?

Today I had the great fortune of sticking my finger with a needle filled with biohazardous compounds. That guaranteed me a one-way trip to our Occupational Health and Safety Clinic here on campus.

The nurse who saw me was really nice. Before even getting to my injury, we talked at length about my family and personal health history. Dad's arthritis, heart disease, diabetes, mom's emphysema etc. I mentioned briefly that my blood pressure tended to be on the "high normal" side so she wanted to check it out.
I pulled up my sleeve and got the following:
"oh my, we're going to need the bigger cuff. Your arm is quite larger than I thought."

How big did she think it was/wasn't? I thought.
She checked my blood pressure and confirmed it was high normal.

"It's probably better you dont use the blood pressure machine (like in drug stores) outside- you might get stuck in it or break it, just come on in anytime to get your BP checked" she said naively, not knowing she was stroking my ego majorly. Sir, your arms are too big for the machine!
"yes ma'am, that's very nice, thank you for offering to do that."

"Sir, step away from the machine."

She then went on to the known allergies, any mediacations, supplements, etc. She raised her eyebrows at the list of supplemetns I take (which is not that much from some guys I know-) Fish oil, vit c, vit d, vit e, glucosamine, multi, the usual. She also discouraged the whey protein powder. P'sha! As if! Blasphemy I thought!

Then from left field comes:
"Are you taking anabolic steroids?"
The question caught me off guard, and I think she knew it, but she continued-
"It's ok if you are, we're under confidentiality- I just want to get a complete picture of what's going on with you."

After the awkward silence, I simply replied no ma'am. I know that she wasn't implying anything by it, and her intentions were genuine, but in a way I also felt like I was lying because I dont think it was the answer she was expecting. Very bizarre. But for a natural bb'er, aint nothing like getting accused of juicin!

I definitely walked out of there feeling a lot better than I did when I went in, but none of it had anything to do with my finger.

No comments: