Where's Ryan?

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Quinoa- THE VERDICT (UPDATE)

In short: It's good!

Ive read that brown rice, while better than white, is not all that much better. It still spikes the insulin, and in excess can cause you to store fat- and a carb is a carb. I like quinoa because it's a high protein "side" and it because I know it's a "superfood" and has a full amino acid profile, and a some decent fiber.

The taste is hard to place- its sorta nutty, sorta earthy, like you get the essence of a brown rice, but not the starchy part or the texture. Speaking of texture I'd put it like the roe on top of sushi, as the little seeds tend to pop as u eat them. I like that even when completely plain, its easy to eat, and dont leave me feeling stuffed and bloated how potatoes or rice can.

Anyways, ditch the rice and say "Ni Hao*" to "Keen-Wah!"
*hello in Mandarin

UPDATE!
Also, I wanted to add that clean-up was a snap! I went to wash the pot I cooked it in, and I had none of the sticky mess that I usually get from rice- it rinsed right out with lil to no scrubbing. In my book that is a huge plus!

1 comment:

CMC said...

guess I'll try some tonight...if there are any left overs