Where's Ryan?

Monday, January 12, 2009

It aint enough...

As I've grown, I've come to realize that people's perception of family is a funny thing. In the wake of my grandma's passing, there's been a lot of strife in the family. Some relatives are acting a complete fool, and when talking with the venerable MikeJ about this, I told him that "blood is just blood, love is earned." How much sense does it make to love and respect someone just because you're related? Just because you're "supposed to." Blood aint enough...



So what does this have to do with bodybuilding?

We're still in the hour of the resolutioner. I think that a lot of folks think that you can buy your way to a new you, that they can get fit by association.

Gyms are hustling hard to corral scores of folks looking to make positive changes to their health and physique in the New Year. They make you sign up for a year because they know they'll only have to put up with most of em through March at the latest.
Belonging to a gym is not enough.

Ab lounge, ab blaster, PX90, the perfect pullup, perfect pushup, bowflex.
Buying these gadgets aren't enough.

Jenny craig, slimfast, Alli, Hydroxycut, Nutrisystem.
Joining these programs are not enough.
Might as well put your money here if you think that's enough

I will admit that above actions are a step in the right direction (albeit a small one.) They say that people have a higher chance to succeed with their health/fitness goals when money is on the line. I dont think that's necessarily true (unless you will lose a large sum if you dont get to a certain goal.) I think complacency sets in once you've put your money out there- "I have a gym membership, now pass me that donut!"

Positive change, like familial love, has to be earned, with sweat, hard work, and consistently doing the right thing.

No comments: