Where's Ryan?

Monday, August 4, 2008

Hard-core:

Hard-core
-adjective
  1. unswervingly committed; uncompromising; dedicated
  2. pruriently explicit; graphically depicted
  3. being so without apparent change or remedy; chronic
This is what minding my own business in my cube looks like, if you needed a visual.

So I'm sitting in my cube on Friday, minding my own business and having another light hearted chat with John. It's my last day of training before I take some time off. It's also my final date with deadlifting 405 (that's 4 plates per side,) which laughed at me last time and hardly moved.

"I've made a decision" says John.
"Oh ya, what's that?"
"I'm gonna come lift with you, need to help you get that 405 up," He responds.

One thing about John is that the guy is a driver. He drives to and from LA like it's nothing. The bay area is practically his second home.

I thought that John would come through, bring some clothes and some protein, and stay a while. But trip is something different: no pleasure, all business.

"So you're going to stay a while?"
"Nope, just here to lift," then back on that 101 to 152 to 1.

Our training program relies heavily on intensity- the guy drove 2 hours to lift with me so I really had to bring it, and as a result beat all of my lifts in reps and/or weight.

405 (see pruriently explicit) escaped me, but I did set a personal record at 385. Can't be mad at that, and another epic battle with the iron went down in the record books.

John Cristobal-
-adjective
unswervingly committed, uncompromising, and dedicated!

No comments: