Where's Ryan?

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Return

So for the last 10 days, I've been "cruising." In my training protocol which basically calls for me to lift as heavy as I can with good form, I MUST have programmed time off from the gym every 8-12 weeks. This break, also called periodization, ensures that I train as intensely as I can during my "blasts" and then "cruise" to provide my CNS, joints, tendons, ligaments, and muscles a break from the all out beating I'd been giving it the last few months.

I knew that I was ready for a break because my body was feeling achy everywhere, I was NOT sleeping well, and to top it off I caught a gnarly cold.

There are a few ways to take a break- you can stay away from the gym altogether, go to the gym, but just lift lightly (like I know how to do that, haha.) So for the past 10 days I've been cruising by staying out of the gym (except to train Carrie, help an embarrassed young man re-rack a 70 lb barbell to the top of the weight tree, and to do a lil cardio) playing H.O.R.S.E. and beach volleyball. I've also given my GI tract a break and scaled back the meals.
Beach Volleyball! This is how I cruise!

But all that's over now. 6 eggs and a bowl of oats for b-fast and Today I get to jump back into the gym. I knew I was ready when I saw this commercial. It got me itchin to be physical with those weights. Gotta get my 200lbs on!

1 comment: