Where's Ryan?

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Pro Bodybuilders I know...

Now let me clarify- I'm not pretending to be buddy buddy with these guys, and it's highly likely they don't remember me at all. Because bodybuilding is such a marginal sport, fans can easily access some the sport's greatest stars. In one way or another, my friend Joel Brandwein is directly responsible for me having met these legends...

Danny Padilla
"The Giant Killer."
Dubbed the "Giant Killer" because he outmuscled men more than a foot taller than he, the 5' 2" bodybuilder out of Rochester is an IFBB legend. I had the pleasure of working with Danny at the Arnold Classic Expo in 2006. He was most gracious to his fans, and almost seemed to be honestly surprised by all the attention he was getting.

Danny hadn't eaten all morning and as he was eating a chicken sandwich I got for him at the Europa booth, Danny damn near choked to death. It was quite a scene but he was ok.
I almost Killed the Giant Killer!

Chris Dickerson

In the 40 plus years of the Mr. Olympia contest, only 11 men have worn the olympia crown.
Chris won in 1982. He was kind enough to provide a few phone consultations during my first contest prep (again courtesy of Joel.) He also had some kind words to say about my contest shape this year.

Ed Corney

Dubbed the Greatest Poser of All Time. Long time roommate and training partner of Arnold, the guy is rich with stories from Bodybuilding's Golden Era. The consummate fixture at bodybuilding shows, I've spent many enjoyable hours with Ed and consider him a friend.

Lee Priest
Some say he's the Dennis Rodman of bodybuilding. Badboy on and off the stage.
Many say he has a crappy attitude and I think he is characterized as a bad boy because he has tattoos (on his face) and doesnt mince words or speak politically.
I spent a few hours with him at the Arnold and I found him to be warm, down to earth, and engaging. He has a great deal of respect and love for Ed, and while we were having a hard time catching a cab and were caught in the cold columbus wind, he made sure that Ed stayed warm and even helped him button up his coat like a son would his father (sometimes ed's manual dexterity is compromised in the cold, due to his stroke a few years ago.) Then he hailed a cab for him and gave him the first to come along, putting Ed before himself.
It was a tender moment really and something you wouldnt expect from bodybuilding's bad boy.

No comments: