Where's Ryan?

Friday, May 16, 2008

Thanks and Praise

Although I'm the only one up on that stage, there are many people behind the scenes who have helped me to get to that point. I didn't want to post anything else until I put the time/effort to give credit where it's due. I wanted to take this moment and recognize a few significant figures that got me thru to may 10. I am most gracious for the contributions of the following people:

Guy Cisternino
and Jeff Rodriguez
Middleweight Phenom Guy Cisternino

Amazing Natural Team Universe Runner Up, Jeff Rodriguez

These guys are the consummate professionals (though they're still top-ranked amateurs, but likely not for long.) They were very awesome in giving me much needed e-advice through forum postings and emails. Thanks guys!

Joel Brandwein
Joel, Pictured Left, Horseshoes anyone?

Joel has been a friend to me dating back 3-4 years, and a major influence in my competitive bodybuilding pursuits. We first met at Maverick's Gym in Emeryville, and we hit it off right away, and in the marginal arena of bodybuilding, you need to hang on to all those with the iron addiction you can. An accomplished competitor in his own right, Joel has put me in touch with some tutelage from the top names in the IFBB Hall of Fame, and is always looking to lend his expert insight to my journey and prep.

BBC, (the remaining core-) Zack, Chris, and Brian
Chris, Birdie, Zack and Cider

Chris, the iron man, started the diet with me, and though he got knocked down with a nasty bout of pneumonia, he's always right back in there with me. And he has the ahi and yellowtail hookup, hell he kills it with his own hands!
Zack, the consummate tai-chi, meditation, and former vegetarian ying to my yang- we've been able to connect on a lot of different levels with regards to discipline, deprivation, and the cleansing of the body.
And the juicy one, Brian, "Cider" Martinelli, this guy has gone through a transformation of his own, and came thru to pre-judging. I think he popped a blood vessel participating in the pre-judging from the crowd. Always comes through to keep the BBC Love alive.

Crew Carrie-
Nghi, Jacquie, Jen, Julie, Christine, Carrie, Patra, Christine, Joyce

Carrie's homies were awesome during my prep. If they had a party, they'd always make special arrangements for me, even contacting me to make sure I knew I didnt have to drink, or didn't have to chip in (since I couldn't eat.) They'd always check in and even joined me a few times for cheat meals. Every time I went out to enjoy club soda and ice at the club, they'd make sure to tell me they wanted me to win, and wanted me to know how amazed they were with my dedication. Julie and Patra came out to the show and it was totally awesome of them, and even got to see a Dr. McDreamy look alike (LOL.)

Bobbi Martin, and the rest of the Tox RAs-
Bobbi- locked in, definitely an integral part of team RTY

My co-workers, always dealing with a foggy-headed, dog tired, usually distracted RTY are much appreciated. Bobbi in particular, an avid reader of my blog, and was always there for me to lean on on my worst days and shared with me dietary and exercise insights we both put to good use. Day in and day out she was terrorized by the sounds of the protein shake, and the smell of microwaved salmon, but always had a smile for me when I was feeling crappy.

Yokogawa Family-
Damn I'm brown, maybe I was adopted!

Mom, clearly my number 1 fan, has always done her best to make me feel super loved, and although she hated seeing me suffer through my first show prep and declared "No more of that sh*t," she was awful proud and didn't want to let those trophies go come May 10. Pops, the strong silent type, said I was too damn skinny, but always had a healthy interest in the show, and would quiz me on the diet of the day. Jeremy always poking fun at my dropping weight and calling me 'trophy' thanks to the bronzing agent held me down keeping me chatted up and checked in. When he's ready, John and I got all the tips for him. Let's go!

Michael Jerome Jeffries II
Michael Jerome Jeffries- Our parallels are uncanny...

While an amazing athlete in his own right, Mr. Jeffries never had the slightest inclination to jump on a stage in less than a speedo. But ever insightful, he took delight in the pursuit of excellence, and saw the core of what I was doing- committing myself to a goal, and pursuing it until the goal was met. It was never about being bigger, faster, stronger, in body, but in spirit and with that he helped me persever and always took every opportunity to relay his admiration.
It has always been me in awe of his ability to routinely do everything in his life at a level that exceeds excellence. His only shortcoming is that he's a Lakers fan, but hey, we all make mistakes.

"King" James Edwin Dull
Known this guy since I was 5

A friend for over 20 years, Jimmy was there for my final day of prep and show last year, and loved being part of the process. Also he decided that in preparation for his upcoming wedding he'd take a page out of me and john's book and hit that treadmill. When John moves back he'll have the distinct pleasure of training with him on a daily basis. John teases it's his turn to take the stage next year.

John J. Cristobal
Most Muscular Indeed!

My mother considers him her 3rd son. I consider him a brother in blood, and in iron. It was for my birthday that he purchased the Pumping Iron 25th anniversary edition. He might as well included some posing trunks and some pro-tan with that package because that gesture was instrumental in my desire to jump on a competitive stage. He and I shared some epic training sessions, and he's moving closer to home which only means good things. He too has the competitive bug and I look forward to sharing the stage after our 2 years off... Let's grow forth bro...

Carrie Michelle Chiu
Isnt she lovely?

Where do I begin? If any one single person deserves more accolades than me it is she. Carrie was there from day 1. On days I didn't feel like getting up to do cardio it was her vested interest that kept me going, as I knew how much she was sacrificing to support me during my prep. She was also there to scold me if I were so foolish as to suggest straying from the diet. To keep strain to a minimum, I promised her no shows for 2 years. She's seen my ugliest side and Im sorry she had to see it, but she maintained and we have happily resumed our lives. As she sits next to me as I write this I can never forget how truly lucky I am to have such an amazing woman in my life.

No comments: