Where's Ryan?

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Bodybuilding- Oh The Horror!! Myths and Stereotypes

It's funny, when I walk through my office space on the way to the bathroom carrying my copy of Muscular Development, you'd think I was carrying a copy of Hustler or Playboy. Just as people look at an Anne Geddes calendar and go "Awwwww"" people act with an equal amount of horror and disdain when they see a bodybuilder. They cant help but comment on how gross or how terrible the guys look or ask "why would anyone want to look like that?" Nothing elicits a response like a muscle mag, or the sheer thought of voluntary bodybuilding.

I think it's because there are a lot of myths and stereotypes out there, and I'd like to address a few of them...


1) They're all roided out- Yes, a lot of bodybuilders take steroids- so do baseball players, and track stars and football players and 50 Cent and Mary J. Blige. Sorry to say steroids are out there- and guess what? Despite the claims that steroids will ruin your life, there is not one published study that shows that steroid use (note I said use, not abuse) will kill you or make you want to kill your family. I have chosen NOT to take steroids which makes me a natural bodybuilder meaning I dont take performance enhancing drugs.

2) They're all vain and narcissistic- Unfortunately, bodybuilding is essentially a beauty contest for guys, but I dont think we're any more vain than any other gym goer. Let's face it, we ALL go to the gym to look better- bodybuilders just have the will/skills/genetics/knowledge to do it a little bit better.

3) Bodybuilders are gay- LOL. Laughable. We shave our arms and legs as the hair obscures muscular definition. We tan because a darker body enhances muscular definition. The speedos (posing trunks) showcase our body as well...

4) Bodybuilders are dumb mindless jocks- Pop icons like the incredible hulk or shrek are big and strong and essentially dumb. Those icons are also not real. Arnold signed my Diploma from UC Berkeley. Who's the real dummy?

No comments: