Where's Ryan?

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Diet

So many people have asked- on my diet, what can I eat?

Basically my day of eating will look like this

30 minutes of cardio on an empty stomach, sipping green tea, and perhaps popping a fat burner, then the face stuffing begins!

MEAL #1
5 whole Omega-3 Eggs (with 4 additional whites)

MEAL #2
SHAKE: 45g protein from ON 100% Whey Gold Standard and 1 Tablespoon of All Natural PB


MEAL #3
“Lean Protein Meal” 7oz chicken (or Turkey, or tilapia, flounder, or cod) with 1/3-cup RAW almonds, cashews or walnuts

MEAL #4
Repeat MEAL #3

MEAL #5
“Fatty Protein Meal” 7oz Salmon, Swordfish, or 8oz RED MEAT (filet mignon, or top round cut) with a green salad (no tomatoes, carrots, or red peppers) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Macadamia nut oil and vinegar

MEAL #6 4HAKE: 45g protein from ON 100% Whey Gold Standard and 1 Tablespoon of All Natural PB

So that's 6 meals a day X 7 days=42 meals per week. After two weeks of complete dieting, I get to have One meal (note MEAL not DAY) per week as a cheat meal. Not only is this is a mental break from that god-awful routine above, but I also use it to restore my glycogen stores which have been all but depleted, as well as rev up my metabolism which has been lowered due to the low GI food. Basically I can eat whatever I want (including dessert) as long as I keep it under 200 grams of carbs; and boy believe me do I ever need it!!!! Then the next day it's back on the grind.

So this is definitely a high protein, moderate fat, and extremely low (<50 g/day) carb diet. This diet is also known as a ketogenic diet which is designed to maximize fat loss while minimizing muscle mass loss. The reason I dont have carbs is because the carbohydrate is the preferred fuel source for the body/brain. If I deprive the body of carbs, it will have no choice but to burn fat for fuel, and this fat is what keeps me from looking all cut up. Pretty simple actually. Carbs, while the base of the food pyramid, (some say that this pyramid is responsible for making the US Fat with its heavy emphasis on carbs) is an unessential macronutrient, while protein and fats are absolutely essential for the body to function normally...

Next up I'll post up my training schedule.

No comments: