Where's Ryan?

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Early Iron Influences Take 1

He-Man would have been an amazing bodybuilder

While many bodybuilders come up idolizing actual bodybuilders, the muscular archetypes of my upbringing are much more subtle. I never thought, I wanna grow up and be big and strong (though mom did say I'll never be hulk hogan if I dont finish my milk,) but the influence of such icons on my sub conscience child brain would probably be hard to refute.

Let's start with probably the earliest influence- He-Man, the Master Of the Universe. I was about 3 or 4 when I started playing with these action figures. I had em all. I still have stinkor and a broken skeletor on my desk. I really think I had a ton of them because my pops was really into the chase of getting those hard to find characters.

But look at this guy- dense muscle heavily packed onto a small frame. His calves are massive and his quads could use more outer sweep, but I think in a pose-down with other action figures, his X-frame would be hard to beat.

What makes He-Man interesting is that he had this total alter ego in the form of Prince Adam- mild, unassuming, but still heavily muscled. Looking back it's sorta dope that they'd give him a more sophisticated organic side that shows he does more than whoop bad guy ass. haha. Now all the characters are just hardened uni-dimensional tough-guys. I can relate to his plight.
Dude was rockin the under-armor WAAAAAAY before NFL players. Yeah he had purple spandex pants, and dark purple furry Uggs, but look at those arms? You wanna be punched by this man? This man's gorilla suit speaks for itself and Im sure his fashion faux pas went unchallenged.

No comments: