Where's Ryan?

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Corporate Shakedown

SO today in Corporate America we had an icebreaker at work to usher in a merge between my group and another group.

One of the questions was- "List your talents or hobbies."

I joked that I could forego carbohydrates (ie contest prep) for long periods of time and that I was a competitive bodybuilder.

The room was rather silent. Courtesy smiles galore.

So it got me to thinking again, as I talked about in my previous post, about the myths and stereotypes.

Someone in the room stated he was into hunting.
Let me translate that- "I kill animals for fun."

I said I'm into bodybuilding.
Let me translate what most probably immediately conjured- "I'm a numbskulled, vain, self-absorbed roid ragin drug addict who's partly responsible for tainting Baseball and the olympics."

If only they could see that I've made a pledge. When someone is married to the iron, it's a tough road that usually pulls you in for life. It's about having a personal conversation with your genetics, and saying no thank you, I don't wIf they could only know that it's a lifestyle much like veganism, or perhaps becoming a priest or nun. ant that for myself. I love when people take an interest because I could talk about this all day long. It's also ok when they are 'grossed out' at the thought because I probably don't want to know them anyway.

Oh well, I guess we'll always fear what we don't understand.

I know I'm a lil weary of the animal killer, hahaha...

No comments: