Where's Ryan?

Friday, February 8, 2008

you can't make this stuff up...

I may not have said this before, but I lift in a gym that is privately owned by my company and designated for the sole use of the employees and their families/friends.

There are pros and cons of lifting in a corporately owned gym.

Pros include- clean equipment, and the corporate masses tend to shy away from the machines that attract the muscle heads, so they're (usually) open for use.

Cons include (and they are many)- people treating the gym as a social outlet, people not knowing gym etiquette (like wipe down your bench, re-rack your weights,) the lacking of an air of intensity for serious training, and a new con I've never experienced ever in all my days of training.

Today I was having a pretty good leg workout. I had finished up my set of lunges and headed over to the leg press to blast my calves. From where I was I couldnt see if the press was occupied.

When I arrived at the machine I saw a lady sitting there resting. There was no weight, and her legs were up on the thing platform and her eyes were closed. Now I know how annoying it can be to be bothered in the middle of a set, and I'm always hesitant to even ask "how many sets do you have left" so I just went on to the donkey calf raise machine adjacent to the leg press.

First warmup set knocked out- she's still there, hasn't moved.

Second set she shifts a little, and even places her hand over her face to block out the annoying gym light that is interrupting her slumber.


Last warmup set her mouth is now open and her breathing changes.

She's fully asleep on the GD leg press that I want to use.

Finally working set time and I blast the heck out of my calves, and grunt a lil louder than usual in a futile attempt to wake the snoozing patron.

NOPE.

So then I re-rack all my weight and as soon as the last 45 plate is placed on to the tree- she comes to and dashes off to another station. Of course.

I take a peek at my ipod- she was resting her eyes for almost 10 minutes. Now THAT's intensity!

I need to find a new gym.

No comments: